Principles of Weight Control:
1. Don’t plan to "go on a diet." Plan to change your eating habits– PERMANENTLY
2. Become a vegetarian!
– Natural plant foods are
– Animal products are
3. Decide beforehand how much to eat; NEVER have seconds!
4. NEVER eat between meals!
5. Two-meal a day plan: Large breakfast, good lunch, no supper
6. Fast a day or two (if very overweight) a week, not consecutively
7. LOTS of water between meals (herbal teas o.k.) Drink instead of eat!
8. Eliminate free fats–even vegetable oils (butter, lard, margarine, oils); and refined carbohydrates (sugar, white flour, meal, etc)
9. REGULAR exercise; preferably daily. Walking one of the best, but any is o.k.
– Especially after meals
– At least 30 minutes a day; try to gradually increase to 1 hour or more (Not necessary to be all at one time).
"..increasing body weight suggests reduced physical activity may be the most important current factor explaining the rising prevalence of obesity.
Recognizing the difficulties in sustaining energy-restricted diets in the presence of fast foods & social feasts, the current trend toward increasing body weight is not likely to be reversed solely through ...further reductions in energy intake. In all likelihood, activity levels will have to increase in response to an environment engineered to be more physically demanding." Weinsier et al. Am J Med 105(2):145, 1998 Aug.
10. Be aware of the body’s "set points" (tendency for the body to maintain a metabolic equilibrium).
Factors that lower set point (helpful):
Factors that raise set point (deleterious):
11. Remember that we lose weight in a "stair step fashion;" not a straight line. That is, we may lose quickly to begin with; then there is a plateau for a time; then a period of rapid loss again; then another plateau, etc. The plateauing is due to changes in the set points. If the plateau is too prolonged, one can become discouraged. Often a short fast, or increased physical exercise, or a short period with an all-raw diet, or various combinations of these will "reset" the set point, and start the weight loss again.
12. Finally, courage and an abundance of faith in the healing power of God is all-important. Satan wants you to destroy your-self, and he will help you do it if you allow him. But our loving Lord is yearning to assist you in getting the victory over Satan and self– "Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health."
Claim the promises, and mighty things can be accomplished!
The majority of this content is taken from Dr. Agatha Thrash of Uchee Pines Institute, printed with permission by Wildwood Inn Health Retreat.